Monday, April 25, 2011

Some unknown wood fell in my backyard...

We had a very straightgrained tree die on the outskirts of the wetland area in my backyard. Given that it fell duirng early spring (without leaves) I don't have the luxury of using leaves for identification, and I am hesitent to try and identify it from bark alone. During summer I remember that its leaves looked like that of ash (perhaps wishful thinking), but can't be sure. I know that its not an oak or a maple, and given that it grew very straight and is of medium weight I'm hoping that it is ash. Not knowing the species for sure isn't detrimental given that I can perform "a standard bend test" as shown in The Traditional Bowyer's Bible: Volume 1 (p. 99) to determine appropriate demensions for the bow.

I cut up the logs with a chain saw and then glued up the ends with Elmers Wood Glue to avoid cracks forming during the drying process. Today, I split the logs using a few old axe heads and some steel wedges in conjuction with a sledge hammer. The logs split fairly well, and with a minimum of effort (picture below).
They are now drying in quarters in my workshed (below).

2 comments: